Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Herd Mentality

I still remember that day when I stood in class and faced the monster, challenging her and defying the herd mentality she was shoving down our throat. I argued " I have brain which god gave me as gift, so I can be different from other creatures. How dare you ask me to shut it down". She respond with a sharp tone " this is what we learned from those who have better brains than yours, and even if you don't understand it, you have to follow it, cause this what a good girl would do". So, what if I don't want to follow the rules?! what if I want to be different ?! does it mean I just want attention?
This argument came up when "our beloved teacher" was trying to explain what secularism mean. She define it as separation of religion from life, well believe it or not it's not what it mean but she was taken by the herd mentality and believed what she heard from someone else, terminated her brain and did not try to look for the truth. She was unwilling to hear what I'm about to say even before I said it, cause she knew it's not what she learned.
I told her " secularism is defined as separation of church and state and since church represents religion and state represents politics. Therefore, it's separation of politics and religion". Her eyes were wide open stunned by my boldness and first thing she asked " who told you that? who have been feeding you such thoughts?". I responded as if she just insulted me" you can find it in any dictionary. I did not make it up or someone feed it to me. I used my brain unlike what you did". So of course, I was kicked out of class send to the principle office.
The principle was an understanding lady, who sheared with me a lot of my opinions. She told me to tune it down and try to play a long so I can live in peace. The truth is, I never wanted to live in peace. In fact, I love the rush I get from debating mindless idiots who believe anyone with a beard.
Why can't I have my own thoughts about life and politics?!. Why do I have to follow those who call them self the leaders of Muslim nations?!. When will we stop listening to one side?! why can't we look at it from different angles?! Why do they hide it from us if they were right?! yep, I'm talking about censorship. If they were right why do they censor the liberal forums and websites.
BTW, censorship is one big violation of human rights and we don't talk about it enough. I will give it a separate post,
What I want you to answer is...
Have you ever been in a similar confrontation and what was it about?
Do you accept every information you receive easily or do you find yourself in constant questioning?

7 comments:

  1. Well I love your post so very much. I have to say that before college I was a girl who believed every fatwa and everything without questioning. Because I thought the essence of Islam is to submit yourself. What I wasn't fully aware of is that submitting is for Allah only and not for people. You might think this is stupid, and how did I grow up like this, well let's just say I grew up in a tiny tiny mini society and saw no one else nor have I contacted anyone else!!

    Anyhow, the bottom line is, people aren't easily willing to accept new ideas Demo :). It took me 12 years to open my eyes and heart and read between the lines and filter everything I hear and read.

    It's a tragedy of course that a teacher herself is being fed with these information and expects students to do the same!!! You know -or maybe not- how I feel about how should teachers do their work!!!

    Other than that, I couldn't agree more on the herd mentality. People are just afraid of what they don't understand. You shouldn't bother yourself much :).

    الحمد لله على نعمة العقل بس!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, my dear I likes your post.
    I have a similar situation about women right
    But I end the discussion early because when you discussed something with closed mind people you will just waste your time and hit your head.

    I have to give an excuse to herd mentality people in our country because we have not the culture of dialogue, and most of the people just follow the habits without thinking.

    So, you need to ignore what some people saying unless you're Patient enough to going in sterile discussion.
    when passed in similar situation when I at high school I just closed my ears and did my homework coz simply I did not have time to spend it to hear something I did not believed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I love how U deal it with this situation

    I know how many time we fight about something until one of us prove it that the other on is wrong

    keep on



    bytheway my name is : W or H < it's puzzle

    ReplyDelete
  4. dodoy :D i love u girl
    @fadiosis and philosopher i love to fight and challenge and i don't think i can let go of things easily. it is a problem but also a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fight for what u believe in, never stop and don't let go ,, keda al tary5 ankatab ,, am with u (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. what if I don't want to follow the rules?! what if I want to be different ?! does it mean I just want attention?!...i like it,,i dont like follow the rules without evidence and i beleive this makes me differant...i dont care if ppl think i want attention..:)

    let me answer ur Q,,
    1- i am nt sure if i face such a situation,,

    2- i am stubborn person my neurons dont accept anything easily unless it's filtered manytimes & the result my hair will turn soon into white..

    ok regarding the secularism & its defentions none of them confince me & th whole idea about secularism dont make any progress to any sociailty..i will tell why or the history will tell us why,,

    we all agree absolulty,,when islam was applied correctly on all our life aspects,,when it controls our deals with Muslims or non Muslims..when it was the guide of every moments and every seconds of our life we were the leaders of the world..the mercy on the earth..we were the scientists,,the artiests..the thinkers..the philosophers..ETC,,we create a perfect life to the whole universe from nothings..Islam touches every part of our life confert it into paradise..when we neglect the history & what Allah ask as to do..we lose the way..we live without dignity..& then we are looking now for anything return us to our Golry,,But we get along the wrong way..we knocked each doors looking for an escape.
    we dont need any strange ideas,or a complete stranger to advise us what we should or should nt do to live better..islam treat every part of our life inculding the politics part & the whole idea of secularism will never make us live better..if we dont have a good life these days it's nt because Islam is the problem..it's because we lost the correct islam way

    i advice u dear and all ppl to read ( lost History) book by micheal an american author

    Maram

    ReplyDelete