Saturday, July 24, 2010

Forever a Medusa

I learned about Medusa when I was around 9 or 10. Since then, I stated having dreams about her. About a half women, half snake, with snakes for hair. It was never scary, she never said anything, never moved and never turned away from me. Just sites there looking at me with sad eyes, eyes full of tears but never drooped a tear. They always talk about how she turns men who look at her into stone but I can swear I never dreamed of anything as beautiful as Medusa's eyes. I almost felt sorry for her, that such eyes can be associated with such myth. Oh, my heart just brakes for her, as I see her lonely, sad, and hated even by herself.

It's a Myth...
There is two myths regarding Medusa's curse; one says that she laid down with Poseidon in Athena's temple to anger her as Athena and Poseidon were enemies, and one says that Poseidon raped her in Athena's temple when she went there to ask for her help. However, both agree that Athena punished her by turning her and her sisters into monsters. Ugly monster, so no man would want her and turns any man who looks at her into stone, so she can never pursue men.

In both stories, I'm disappointed, that Athena the goddess of wisdom would do such a thing. why didn't she punish Poseidon too?! Why didn't Poseidon help her?!. In Greek mythology, men were created in the likeness of gods and women were created in the likeness of goddesses. So, it's no wonder that men will act selfishly as Poseidon did. He knew that he's no match to Athena the powerful goddess who even Zeus tried to stop her birth, and in a moment of cowardliness and godlessness he gave up on Medusa and left her to face Athena alone.

Searching for my Medusa...
Since I can't draw like my daddy, I tried to look for a picture of Medusa similar to the one in my dream. I was trying to find the same feelings I felt in my dreams. I didn't find anything that looks like it but I noticed something in all of the pictures her face either show anger, fear, or sadness and even in the most seductive portraits there is a glimpse of sadness in her eyes. Oh Medusa, what sins have you commuted to diverse such an end.

What she stand for...

They say that Medusa was turn to a monster after her sin, so that, her tainted sinful soul will match her out side. She was made an example for those girls who will live their life freely loving and be loved, that their end will be like Medusa shamed for life and shame will fallow their families as the cursed has caught Medusa's sisters too. It was a warning for every women that even if she was a helpless victim in front of a ruthless god like Poseidon, she is to be blamed for letting herself to be victimized.

To me Medusa represent a "Woman Anger" at a society that forgives a man sin but never a woman sin. At men who play with women love so leniently as if it was cheap and easy to find. At men who will run after them to the end of the world and leave them as soon as they get what they want. Anger, for being used and punished their bodies.

I don't believe, that she can't look at her reflection be cause she will turn into stone because a snake never poisoned by her venom. I think she can't stand look at her reflection because she was naive to think she can find love, or find someone who deserve her. I believe, she can't stand looking at herself because she knew that the world and the gods had abandoned her.

If She Would Talk...

I always wonder, if the Medusa in my dream would talk, what would she say to me?! would she say that in every woman there is a Medusa waiting for her heart to be broken so she can come out!! or would it be a stupid advise about the nonexistence of true love, yes it's stupid because we all know that. Maybe our Medusa told us but we keep forgetting it...

Finally,,,
In a society like ours, the word love equal sin, the word lovers equal sinners. There is no place for love and no safe haven for lovers. No real lovers, only hungry beasts and filthy whores. So, to you innocent love seeking, hungry for passion individual, look for love but not here. I can't guaranty that you will find it but I sure know that you will never find it here..

"Forever a Medusa, and Medusa will be me"

8 comments:

  1. hi ....demo
    really i'm out of word
    it's amazing post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there was a "like button" I would click it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ''So, to you innocent love seeking, hungry for passion individual, look for love but not here. I can't guaranty that you will find it but I sure know that you will never find it here..''
    Just like you are very compassionate about medusa and have a tendency towards her, you never know who might have a tendency towards you...
    Love is to be found everywhere if we know what we are doing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love in KSA looks like a crime..every body has the right to judge u..to raise u up or down..and their empty words become valiable...
    OOh amany this topic is killing me,,in KSA animals spirit more important than women life...

    2 thumps up...i like ur smart letters..keep it up

    Ms. Rum Rum

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So, to you innocent love seeking, hungry for passion individual, look for love but not here. I can't guaranty that you will find it but I sure know that you will never find it here.."
    I liked every bit of the post, I find it amazing how u write about ur passion in such reasonable way.

    But .. the quot I did here is the part I'm having difficulties in swallowing it. especially the word here!
    because if by "here" u mean KSA, then I must say this is not quite true!!
    simply, because I witnessed such innocent love .. completely innocent and 100% sin-free!
    not just once .. twice! =)
    before u ask me y or how.. I'll tell u their stories are not typical love romantic ones such those stories we c in movies.
    they created their own story .. in their own conditions ..

    I always say I don't wanna marry the traditional way .. I just don't believe in that marriage..
    I wanna marry out of love .. n' if I were to find that, I'm surly not gonna look for it the traditional way! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Judy,
    they say for every rule there is an exception, isn't?
    we have in this country different cultures, and different socioeconomic classes, all contribute to shape the code of social conduct. So, to generalize would not be totally correct but it will save u the heart break ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well .. in this case u gotta a point =)
    maybe I choose not to think of that coz I like to hope that I may create my own story! =]
    not necessary here .. but I won't look away either.. I'll leave it to fate.

    btw honey, in case u wondered who am I .. I'm Ghada .. hope u recognize me by now. =)

    ReplyDelete